Thursday, April 19, 2012

numbers, letters, shapes and handwriting on chalkboard

I love using my chalkboard that I have painted on the wall in my gym and throughout my center.  To make the activity more therapeutic, I always have kids use broken chalk pieces (encourages proper grasp), have them kneel while writing (trunk stability), and let the kids use a spray bottle to clean their work. 

The activity I use with many 4 and 5 year olds helps with letter recognition, drawing shapes, and counting and writing numbers.  This method also helps kids to learn to follow and remember multi-step directions.

First, write several letters on the board.  I do a variety of capital and lower case letters--this time it was some of those "tricky" ones that are commonly reversed.
Notice the right side of the board-  this is the "key" which the kids will refer to finish the task.  For example, the "B"'s should be found and surrounded by a triangle.  This is a great time to reinforce shape drawing. 

Next, the child will start finding the letters and surrounding them with the shapes as indicated on the key.
I usually put 2-3 copies of each letter on the board so that it gives the child more opportunities to find the letter and to practice the shape.  If the child is too overwhelmed by a lot of letters, then you could do less. 

When they have found and surrounded each letter by its shape, I ask them to then count how many times they found each letter and then write it in the box beside it.  The box helps them to define the area that I wish them to write and is familiar to the kids that are learning handwriting with the Handwriting Without Tears program. 

At the end, the kids get to use the spray bottle to clean the board. They love it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment